Backpacker Post 6: Los Angeles, California

 
 
Los Angeles, California. Another bizarre place. It probably didn't help that I'd stuck stead fastedly to my plan to read Bret Easton Ellis's "Less Than Zero" a disgusting tale of wealthy teenagers living in and around the city spiralling into a kind of sex and drug fuelled hell (go read it, it's great) but, it did really put into perspective the debauched idea of wealth that surrounds you in LA.  Everywhere we went there were eccentric people, which was actually kind of fun (hence my sketch of a woman dressed as a pussy cat an the man next to her who was actually a Charlie Chaplin impersonator.)It wasn't glitzy like we thought it would be but incredibly tricky to get around without a car but I did enjoy the strange overt beaches, watching V-ball, seeing the Chinese Theatre in real life was really pretty cool. A particular highlight for me was meeting the incredible Tavi Gevinson at her opening for her and Petra Collins' exhibition "Strange Magic", I was shaking but she was amazing and graceful and jeez more grown up then anyone I know! Overall it was a pretty overwhelming place!

















 
Next stop (and a rather large contrast to LA) camping in Yosemite National Park.

Comments

Popular Posts